In his recent English Journal article, "Real-World Writing: Making Purpose and Audience Matter," Grant Wiggins elaborates on why creating authentic audiences for student writers can have such a significant impact on student writing. When creating online writing opportunities, keep the following in mind:
Ensure that students have to write for real audiences and purposes, not just the teacher in response to generic prompts.
Authentic Assessment Demands:
- Engaging and worthy tasks of importance
- Faithful representation of the contexts
- Nonroutine and multistage tasks -real problems
- Tasks that require the student to produce a quality product
- Transparent or demystified criteria and standards
Further Resources/Research on Creating Authentic Audiences:
You can join this session virtually on Tuesday, May 18th as I will be broadcasting it live via my UStream channel. More information and times to come.