Introducing The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini:
- Listen to this interview with the author to learn more about his background and his first book The Kite Runner.
- And start your exploration by going right to the source - Khaled Hosseini's website!
Background on the Novel:
- This is an excellent site for learning about Afghanistan's history, Hosseini's background, and the setting of The Kite Runner.
- This is also a good handout on some of the novel's basic history.
- Here is an indexed glossary of all the foreign terms used in the novel.
Learn about Afghanistan
- This National Geographic site is a great place to learn more about the history, geography, and politics of Afghanistan.
- The CIA World Factbook is another great resource.
- Learn about the different ethnic groups living in Aghanistan
- A map of the distribution of the different groups living in Afghanistan
- The Pashtuns make up the majority and are most often Sunni Muslims
- The Hazaras make up about one-fifth of Afghanistan's population and are mainly Shiite Muslims
- Learn about the various groups in Afghanistan through this interactive map
What is Kite Fighting?
- This is an interesting article by Afghan Magazine - "Afghan History: Kite Flying, Kite Running, and Kite Banning"
The Women of Kabul
- A very interesting project sponsored by the Washington Post on the roles and history of women in Afghanistan. This site is loaded with images, video documentary, and a great interviews.
- You've probably seen this picture before. It is one of National Geographic's most famous images. But who is this Afghani girl? Where is she now? What does she look like today? See for yourself!
- Enjoy this playlist of videos featuring interviews of the author, presentations on the history of Afghanistan, and more about the Kite Runner.
For Students: Extra Credit Opportunity
- Complete an independent project on the Middle East to earn up to 10 points of extra credit. Get the details HERE.
Resources for Teachers
- Teachers will find a bookmarked list of lesson plans and curriculum materials for teaching this novel HERE.